QUOTES ON DESPAIR
We believe you’re on this page because you are searching for despair quotes. Don’t worry; you’re in the right place as this article has listed over 60 quotes on despair you can read from.
Have you been depressed lately or hopeless? These quotes on despair can help you restore your composure and begin to feel better. Despite the fact that grief is one of our most basic feelings, it is rarely spoken and certainly never promoted.
Loss of hope can cause sadness thereby leading to depression.
Being sad or hopeless, on the other hand, often allows us to reflect and clear our minds before regaining happiness. So, even if these quotes on sadness make you cry, remember that they’re also assisting you in resetting and feeling better.
In this post, we compiled 60+ despair quotes that will help to light up your mood.
Notable Despair Quotes
- For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, ‘It might have been’.
- When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.
- Some days are just bad days, that’s all. You have to experience sadness to know happiness, and I remind myself that not every day is going to be a good day, that’s just the way it is!
- Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought.
- There is sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love.
- Heavy hearts, like heavy clouds in the sky, are best relieved by the letting of a little water.
- To have felt too much is to end in feeling nothing. – Dorothy Thompson
- Nothing is more sad than the death of an illusion.
- We look before and after, And pine for what is not; Our sincerest laughter With some pain is fraught; Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought.
- Every human walks around with a certain kind of sadness. They may not wear it on their sleeves, but it’s there if you look deep.
- First, accept sadness. Realize that without losing, winning isn’t so great.
- I really believe that all of us have a lot of darkness in our souls. Anger, rage, fear, and sadness. I don’t think that’s only reserved for people who have horrible upbringings. I think it really exists and is part of the human condition. I think in the course of your life you figure out ways to deal with that.
- Every life has a measure of sorrow, and sometimes this is what awakens us.
- Tears come from the heart and not from the brain.
- A sad soul can kill quicker than a germ.
- Depression is the inability to construct a future.
- Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.
- Dying is only one thing to be sad over… Living unhappily is something else.
- Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad.
- The tragedy of life is in what dies inside a man while he lives – the death of genuine feeling, the death of inspired response, the awareness that makes it possible to feel the pain or the glory of other men in yourself.
Other Quotes On Despair And Sadness
- Red is the ultimate cure for sadness.
- Sadness is also a kind of defence.
- I do believe that if you haven’t learnt about sadness, you cannot appreciate happiness. Nana Mouskouri
- Crying is cleansing. There’s a reason for tears, happiness or sadness. – Dionne Warwick
- It’s a sad man my friend who’s livin’ in his own skin and can’t stand the company. Bruce Springsteen
- Nobody understands another’s sorrow, and nobody another’s joy.
- Sadness flies away on the wings of time.
- Make the most of your regrets; never smother your sorrow, but tend and cherish it till it comes to have a separate and integral interest. To regret deeply is to live afresh.
- Delicious tears! The heart’s own dew.
- It doesn’t hurt to feel sad from time to time.
- We’re taught to be ashamed of confusion, anger, fear and sadness, and to me they’re of equal value to happiness, excitement and inspiration.
- We never taste happiness in perfection, our most fortunate successes are mixed with sadness. Pierre Corneille
- One must not let oneself be overwhelmed by sadness.
- Good humor is the health of the soul, sadness is its poison.
- If we could read the secret history of our enemies we should find in each man’s life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility.
- It is sadder to find the past again and find it inadequate to the present than it is to have it elude you and remain forever a harmonious conception of memory.
- Affliction comes to us, not to make us sad but sober; not to make us sorry but wise. H. G. Wells
- There is no despair so absolute as that which comes with the first moments of our first great sorrow, when we have not yet known what it is to have suffered and be healed, to have despaired and have recovered hope.
- I had sadness for breakfast.
- The rose and the thorn, and sorrow and gladness are linked together.
- The sad truth is that most evil is done by people who never make up their minds to be good or evil. – Hannah Arendt
- The sad truth is that most evil is done by people who never make up their minds to be good or evil.
- Oh, I am very weary, Though tears no longer flow; My eyes are tired of weeping, My heart is sick of woe.
- People are sad. People are broke. People are worried about money, people are worried that they’re not enough and not amounting to anything and they don’t feel good about themselves. People have rough times, and everybody’s pretending it’s not true, and we need to break that veneer. – Eve Ensler
- In deep sadness there is no place for sentimentality. – William S. Burroughs
- Absence from whom we love is worse than death, and frustrates hope severer than despair. – William Cowper
- Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form. – Rumi
- Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding. – Khalil Gibran
- Participate joyfully in the sorrows of the world. We cannot cure the world of sorrows, but we can choose to live in joy. – Joseph Campbell
- The word ‘happy’ would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. – Carl Jung
- Those who don’t know how to weep with their whole heart, don’t know how to laugh either. – Golda Meir
- The keenest sorrow is to recognize ourselves as the sole cause of all our adversities. – Sophocles
- Everything’s complicated, even those things that seem flat in their bleakness or sadness. – Nick Hornby
- The sad truth is that opportunity doesn’t knock twice. – Gloria Estefan
- They say it’s better to bury your sadness in a graveyard or garden that waits for the spring to wake from its sleep and burst into green. – Conor Oberst
- The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keeps out the joy. – Jim Rohn
- When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy. When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight. – Khalil Gibran
- In this world, full often, our joys are only the tender shadows which our sorrows cast. – Henry Ward Beecher
- Sad will be the day for any man when he becomes contented with the thoughts he is thinking and the deeds he is doing – where there is not forever beating at the doors of his soul some great desire to do something larger; which he knows he was meant and made to do. – Phillips Brooks
- Experiencing sadness and anger can make you feel more creative, and by being creative, you can get beyond your pain or negativity. – Yoko Ono
- Melancholy and sadness are the start of doubt… doubt is the beginning of despair; despair is the cruel beginning of the differing degrees of wickedness. – Comte de Lautreamont
- Sad things happen. They do. But we don’t need to live sad forever. – Mattie Stepanek
Final Thoughts- Despair Quotes
We trust these quotes on despair/sadness have inspired you to let go of your negative feelings and shake things up better.
It’s critical that you accept grief as a natural part of life and permit it to manifest itself in a positive manner. It’s never too late to get back into the habit of smiling!